Saturday, November 1, 2008

Quote of the Week


This week's quote comes from Albert Camus, one of the greatest thinkers ever born. He was a French writer, philosopher, and rebel. Unfortunately, his life ended in a fatal car accident when he was only forty-six years old. Despite his shortened existence, hemanaged to write many, many profound novels, influence the world through his work concerning human rights, and win the Nobel Peace Prize. Here are two quotations because I simply could not choose between them:

"Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken."


"But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?"

1 comment:

Jeremy Penney said...

"The scorching blade slashed at my eyelashes and stabbed at my stinging eyes. That's when everything began to reel. The sea carried up a thick, fiery breath. It seemed to me as if the sky split open from one end to the other to rain down fire. My whole being tensed and I squeezed my hand around the revolver. The trigger gave; I felt the smooth underside of the butt; and there, in that noise, sharp and deafening at the same time, is where It all started. I shook off the sweat and sun. I knew that I had shattered the harmony of the day, the exceptional silence of a beach where I'd been happy. Then I fired four more times at the motionless body where the bullets lodged without leaving a trace. And it was like knocking four quick times on the door of unhappiness".

What an absolutely precise and evocative writer! Camus is so thought of for his ideas that I think is amazing style deserves as much attention.