Tweak by Nic Sheff


Okay. I want to say right up front that this book is not for everyone. It's probably only going to be a meaningful read for a handful of students and grown peoples. This book has deeply affected me. I've had nightmares, headaches, stress, and a slight depression ever since I've started reading it. I finally finished, though, and the brain and body effects have lifted.

Tweak: Growing Up on Amphetamines by Nic Sheff is the author's autobiographical account of his struggle with drug addiction, loneliness, prostitution, crime, rehab, and near-death experiences. It is graphic in its language and its scenes of drug use, sexual exncounters, and the emotional rollercoaster of this young man's life over the course of two years. This is NOT for everyone. Really.

I actually don't quote know how this book became classified as a young adult read. I truly struggled with whether or not I should profile this book as the Book of the Week or even put it on the shelves for free reading. I finally decided that I did need to allow this book to have a fighting chance at the back of the room because it is a TRUE story. This what this young man really went through and continues to go through. Therefore, I think that it does have the opportunity to influence some of your lives. Choose this book with care. Let me know what you think of it.