Book of the Week


When I heard that author David Levithan had written a book about 9/11, I knew I had to have it. I have loved his other books and knew that he'd write about this tragic day in a respectful, thought-provoking manner. And, I was right.

Love is the Higher Law is the story of 9/11 from the perspective of three NYC teens whose lives intersect just prior to the events of that day. The book starts the morning of the attacks. It is interesting to see the reactions of three teens who respond to the attacks in very different ways. Each of the three teen voices is powerful and real it its own way.

What was most interesting to follow is the progression of how the three characters learn to deal with 9/11. Each character grows through this process in a different way. I found myself feeling proud of each of the characters, especially Jasper. I felt extremely connected to each of them and wanted them to be okay. This is not always the case when I read a book, and I feel like this connection speaks to the quality of Levithan's writing. I was deeply moved by this story.