Book of the Week


I have to admit that I am quite mystified by the practice of polygamy in the United States. I have read several books on this subject and find it oddly fascinating. So, when I saw that there was a young adult novel called The Chosen One that dealt with the issue, I knew that I had to have it.

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams is the story of a young girl named Kyra who grows up in a polygamist community. When she turns thirteen, she is "chosen" to marry her sixty year-old uncle. No matter what she does, her family and the religious powers in her community will not allow her to escape this marriage.

I do not want to give any of the exciting plot details away, but I will say that I was turning pages quite quickly because I absolutely had to know what was going to happen to Kyra. I'm sure that this story is reality for many, many of the people who give their lives to religious cults. If you're interested in learning more about this issue, you should definitely check out this book.