For your midterm, you're going to write a series of blog posts. For each post, I will be looking for the following criteria:
Evidence of Critical Thinking: Thoughtful observations, connections between readings and the larger world and/or your life, and growth in your thoughts/ observations from the beginning of the year.
Evidence of Critical Reading: Evidence of thorough readings, comprehension of reading materials, insightful reflections, and connections between readings materials.
Evidence of Creative Thinking: Inclusion of photographs, music, videos, or other media that enhances the presentation of the post; original ideas presented in readings are extended in a creative manner.
Evidence of the Ability to Write Clearly and Effectively: Grammar, spelling, capitalization errors do not interfere with audience understanding. The structure of your blog posts allows for understanding and is easy to follow.
Evidence of Awareness of Diverse Audience: Opinions, justifications, rationalizations, and summaries are written in a way that allows a diverse audience to understand your intent. Writings are not offensive, but engage audience members in your ideas and opinions in a creative manner.
Here are your topics. Some are required posts, but others offer some choices. Make sure that each entry meets the criteria listed above.
1. Write a review of a book you've read for SSR from this quarter. If you only have one from this quarter and have already written a post, write one about a book from first quarter. (LABEL=SSR, Book Review)
2. Write a reflective post about your blog. It's only a baby blog at this point, but I want to know what you're learning about writing from this process. Think about: improvements in the quality of your writing, your awareness of audience, your writing/ blogging goals for the rest of the year. (LABEL=Reflection)
3. Write a post that includes information about the current situation in Haiti. Include facts about the earthquake, survivors, and what's being done to help victims. (LABEL=World News)
Optional Posts (Choose Two)
1. Write a post explaining some facts about Haiti before the earthquake. Include important facts about Haitian history, including what it was like to live in Haiti for the average person before the earthquake. Be sure to include links to sites where you found information. (LABEL=World News)
2. Type one of the Poetry Friday selections not already posted in your blog. Make sure to include the author! Explain how the poem relates to the book it with which it was paired. (LABEL= Poetry Friday)
3. Choose "One Little Word" that will become a focus for you this year. My word for this year is "relax". Here's a link to my blog post on this topic. Grab the "badge" in my post and upload it in your post. (LABEL=Challenges)
4. Write a post about a topic or interest that you have that you'd like us to discuss/ explore sometime this year. Your post could be a specific issue that you've heard about in the news, or one that is more local and relevant to our school. (LABEL=Opinion Piece)
Please take your time with these posts. Make sure to check over each entry for those little errors that can mess up an otherwise perfectly good post! Let me know if you need help; otherwise, blog away!
Once you're done with your midterm, please complete this survey.