Copper Sun by Sharon Draper


I have read quite a few books that deal with the issue of slavery. I've definitely read some powerful tales, but those have all been written for adults rather than for young adults. I was thinking that Copper Sun, by Sharon Draper, would be like other young adult books about slavery that I'd read: kinda simple and unrealisticly toned-down for the reader. I was wrong.

Copper Sun starts in Africa, where the main character Amari is leading a happy life as a member of her tribe. This life is shattered, though, when white men and join forces with a nearby tribe to capture and sell-off the healthy, young members of Amari's tribe. After her capture, Amari is marched toward the African coast and loaded onto a slave ship. She knows that she'll see never her homeland again.

Once on the ship, Amari faces unspeakable horrors. With great detail and imagery, Draper captures the feelings and the picture of what the slave ship experience must have been like for a teen girl. Once Amari arrives on the shores of the Colonies (the story takes place before the US became a country) her just just becomes more and more realistic and horrific.

I think that those of you who enjoy historical fiction would love this book. I think that this story could appeal to a male or female audience. It does have a bit of length to it, but it is suspenseful and intriguing. I was extremely impressed by the quality of the writing and the way the author researched the material for this book. She literally went to most of the places mentioned in the book, including the African country of Ghana.

So, if you'd like to check out this book, I've included it on the shelves at the back of the room. Enjoy.