Friday, April 17, 2009

The House on Mango Street

Today we began The House on Mango Street. We talked about the vignette project a little more and looked another example. We went over the guidelines and then we began to read the book. We read up the first six vignettes (up to "Laughter") and we began a question packet we will be using throughout the book. The questions cover details about the plot but they also include many questions that will help you think about your own life. You will find that Esperanza, the main character, has a different life than yours. Even if that's true, there are common experiences we can all relate to. For example, there is a vignette about her name and what it means to her. We all have a name and maybe your name will be something you will want to write a vignette about for one of your chapters.

Sandra Cisneros, the author of The House on Mango Street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Louie, his cousin & his other cousin. Those who don't. And some more. The family of little feet. How cool are these chapter titles. How cool is that Sandra. How clever. I looked on the syllabus to make sure The House On Mango Street is fiction. It's poetry pure and simple. It's real fiction. Reality TV has nothing on this book. Only the question remains on how much is fiction? The back cover says Fiction/Literature. The Monkey moved – to Kentucky- and took his people with him. I love saying that. It makes my tongue very happy and it's really fun to say. The Monkey moved – to Kentucky- and took his people with him. I can't take much more of what Sally said or any of that kind of thing. I'm full up. I've been exploring and learning and growing beyond who I was for the last two semesters. I need to cry. I can't see the shore line any more. I can swim. I really can. Only I can't tell the tears from the ocean. Yo no hablo Inglés. I do not speak English. Una flor brotó de un taxi. A flower bloomed out of a cab. Un gran flor hermosa grasa. A big beautiful fat flower. I'm one of the bums in the attic too. A smart cookie if you will, beautiful and cruel.

I can say that Sandra Cisneros has successfully hidden prose in creative fiction. What a cool little growing up adventure. The Latino version of the little rascals. Insight to real world problems we all suffer. A cruel joke on all us adult kids. I read the little stories to the end. The last two stories reminded me that I had read a whole book.