Our First Poetry Friday


We started class with another (this time successful) attempt at me knowing all of your names. Since I now know who you all are, we'll have a special treat next Wednesday in class. Our question of the day was: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? The answers that you shared in repsonse to this question were varied and interesting. Some of you would loke to visit relatives who're far away and others of you would like to go to more exotic places. I heard one response that involved wanting to volunteer in Africa. Pretty amazing.

After we shared our answers to this question, we kicked off our year-long "Poetry Friday" routine. As part of this routine, I dictated a poem to you all and you all copied it down as I read. You all did an excellent job in keeping the exact structure and wording of the poem. This week's poem is titled "Forever" and it was written by a poet named Angela Medearis.

We talked pretty extensively about "Forever" and poetry. We talked about the fact that poetry does not have a "right" and a "wrong" answer; we bring our life experience to the poems we read.

After discussing this poem, we moved on to writing our own. This poem is called "They Say, I Say" and you can find the format and example of a finished product on our class wiki.

I have to say that I truly enjoyed the discussion and the poems you shared in today's class. We'll continue with this theme and we'll be reading and writing more poetry together every Friday!