Quote of the Week


Ken Kesey is by far one of the most interesting authors to ever write a word on a page. I've only read one of his books, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but it is perhaps one of the best novels I've ever read. It's power-filled.

Speaking of power, here's Kesey's quotation:

When Shakespeare was writing, he wasn't writing for stuff to lie on the page; it was supposed to get up and move around.

I love this quotation because I believe in it totally. I feel like we need to do more justice to the Bard. Too often, his plays are read in silence and not made to come alive in the manner originally intended. I've definitely read my fair share of Shakespeare in silence by myself, making notes and writing analyses. For all of that quiet work, I've never had more fun or more "a-ha" moments than when I've watched students or professionals make Shakespeare's words come alive.

So, next time we're reading Shakespeare and acting out scenes in front of the class, make sure to take Kesey's advice and perform as the Bard intended.