Six-Word Memoirs


I have been anxiously awaiting the newest collection of six-word memoirs, titled I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous and Obscure, all summer. Why I have I been so excited? Because these collections are just too darn amazing in their power and complex simplicity, if that makes sense. Here are a few:

"Anything but monotone. I am Technicolor."
--Nancy B.

"I told him everything. Big mistake"
--Lindsay B.

"I lost more than my innocence."
--Angela G.

And this list could go on and on and on. Too many to list; read book. See? That was six words! Not a memoir, but a sorta commentary on why you need to get your hands on a copy of this new title!

I guess that I love these because they belong to the people who wrote them, of course, but many of them could also be the story of SO many lives. There are some universal truths underneath each of these six-word sentences. Some are funny, some sad, some filled with hope, and others are still searching. Together, they make up stories that all of us can relate to in at least a few respects.

If you're feeling as inspired by this new book as I am, you can create your own six-word memoir and publish it online.