Book of the Week


I have never been excited by magic tricks, per se, but Harry Houdini has always been an interesting historical figure to me. As it turns out, he is even more interesting than I've ever given him credit for. In Sid Fleischman's Escape! The Story of the Great Houdini, I've learned far more about this amazingly talented showman than I could have ever imagined.

This title is appropriate for anyone interested in learning about this magical figure from our nation's history. Talk about an immigration success story! I have learned so much about Houdini and the late 1800's/ early 1900's from this text, but I have lots of questions about others mentioned. Like, Houdini's faithful wife, Bess. I'd love to read an account about her life.

If you're interested in checking out this nonfiction title, you can find it at the back of the room on the free reading shelf.