April is National Poetry Month!




I can't think of a better way to celebrate the onset of spring than with a poem. In fact, April is National Poetry Month, so we're going to have thirty days of poems! Every day for the entire month of April, www.poets.org is going to email a poem to me and to you, if you choose to sig up for this awesome program. The great thing about this is that we'll all be exposed to a variety of authors, topics, and styles through the poems I receive. I know that I tend to read from the same authors over and over. This way, whether I enjoy the poem or not, I'll be exposed to all kinds of new stuff!

Here's our first poem (April 1st) from www.poets.org:

Secret History
by Charles Simic

Of the light in my room:
Its mood swings,
Dark-morning glooms,
Summer ecstasies.

Spider on the wall,
Lamp burning late,
Shoes left by the bed,
I'm your humble scribe.

Dust balls, simple souls
Conferring in the corner.
The pearl earring she lost,
Still to be found.

Silence of falling snow,
Night vanishing without trace,
Only to return.
I'm your humble scribe.