Quote of the Week


Happy end of Thanksgiving break.

To pull us through the next three weeks before our next vacation, I chose a quotation from one of the sturdiest American women to have ever written a novel. Her name is Willa Cather and she is best known for her novels O Pioneers! and My Antonia. I have only read My Antonia, but I've done it twice, so I feel like I understand a bit about this woman's style. In My Anotonia, she writes about the rugged life of the Western prairies in the early part of the twentieth century. She definitely comes across as a strong, wholesome type of woman, but with a sensitivity to immigrants and the poor. It's a good winter read; I have a copy at home if you'd like to try it out.

Without further ado, here's our quote of the week:

"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived."

Willa Cather, American Author (1873-1947)